Saturday, May 2, 2015

Top Dressing Blueberry Plants


Over the years I've had several blueberry plants.  The last several years was quite hectic and due to my negligence, I only have four blueberry plants that are still thriving in my garden.  I have an unknown variety that's planted by the house.  Then I have three planted in a row by my garage, as pictured above.  The one farthest back (with the tag) is a Bluecrop, the middle one is a Patriot, and the one in the front probably a Northblue or unknown variety.

This year, I've finally got around to top dressing up my blueberry plants, although it may not look dressed up.  What does that mean?  Well, I dug out all the weeds around each plant, then added composted pine needles with fertilizer around each plant, and then put pine needles on top the compost.  Just make sure the compost and pine needles do not come too close to the base of the plant.

I'm sad that I didn't take better care of my blueberry bushes.  Oh well, rather than regret, I'll try and learn from my mistake.  Here's looking forward to bigger blueberry bushes and some fruit.

Do you have any fruit growing in your yard?  Have you been taking care of it?

No comments: