Thursday, April 30, 2015

Stinging Nettle Tea


I have lots of stinging nettle plants in my yard.  I like eating it as a vegetable.  I've also steeped the leaves to make a tea.  Apparently, stinging nettle has been used as a natural remedy to help alleviate allergies, among other things.  Today my seasonal allergies are finally acting up, so I thought to make some tea.


Making stinging nettle tea is very simple if you have the plants or leaves at home.  To make the tea: wash a handful of leaves (or as many as you want to use), put it in a pot on the stove and add enough water to just cover the leaves.  Bring the water to a boil, then turn it off.  You can drink the tea right away or continue to let the leaves steep in the water.  The leaves are edible.  Neither the tea or the cooked leaves will sting you.

How do you alleviate your seasonal allergies?

No comments: