Saturday, January 3, 2015

Books of 2014

I thought I wasn't going to be able to meet my goal of reading and finishing twelve books in 2014.  I started out so sluggishly, which continued into the greater part of the year.  To be honest, I wasn't in a reading mood and rarely was able to find a book that could hold my interest.  I know there are LOTS of wonderful books, but it just wasn't the right time for me to discover those books.  

It wasn't until Labor Day that I finally started feeling like myself again.  I then started reading voraciously, especially in November and December. As the year came to an end,  I even surpassed my requisite twelve books by three additional books.  I'm so glad that I plowed my way through several books because I really came across several interesting stories.  With no further delays, I present the list of books I've read this year:

1.  The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian--Sherman Alexie
2.  A Vintage Affair--Isabel Wolff
3.  The Round House--Louise Erderich
4. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry--Rachel Joyce
5. Crazy Rich Asians--Kevin Kwan
6. The Sugar Queen--Sarah Addison Allen
7.  Be a Writer--Jeff Gions
8. The Ghost Bride--Yangsze Choo
9. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry--Gabrielle Zevin
10.  The Frangipani Hotel--Violet Kupersmith
11. The Girl Who Chased the Moon--Sarah Addison Allen
12.  A Million Steps--Kurt Koontz
13.  Too Jewish--Patty Friedman
14.  The Perfume Collector--Kathleen Tessaro
15.  Lodestone--Wendy J. Scott

Most of the books I read this year were very well written.  If you only have time to read only one book, I highly recommend the The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo.  The story is so imaginative and engaging on so many levels.  The book is set in 1900s Malay (now known as Malyasia) where the main character is asked if she's willing to become the bride of a deceased young man.  The story is captivating and captures so many Chinese spiritual aspects that many Hmong continue to follow today.  It also has themes that reinforced some of the stories and sayings that my mother have told my siblings and me  while growing up (e.g. as handsome as a dragon).  I made my two sisters read this book and they both loved it.  I also gifted the book to my friend and she thorouhly enjoyed it. If you do get the chance to read this book, please let me know what you think.

No comments: