Sunday, January 11, 2015

Chili Oil



I love chili oil.  It wasn't a condiment that was found in my home growing up, yet I saw it often when I ate at pho restaurants (at least in California pho restaurants) and in most Chinese restaurants.  Several years ago, a good friend sent me some homemade chili oil and I was hooked.  Hers had little bits of garlic in it and it was one of the hottest chili oil I've ever had.  At the same time, it was so flavorful and GOOD.  Since then, I've been making my own chili oil at home.  


Homemade chili oil is really easy to make and the only ingredients needed are oil and dried pepper flakes.  Once made, both the solids and the oil are edible.  Definitely use an oil that can be heated at a high temperature and flavorless (e.g. peanut oil, corn oil, vegetable oil, canola).  I also recommend using a glass jar, preferably a canning jar, because it will withstand the heat from the oil.  I also recommend that when you pour the oil into the jar, make sure the jar's in the sink or there's a pan underneath the jar (in case if you spill hot oil).  

When I first started out, I used Andrea Nguyen's recipe, which can be found from this website.  Since then, I like having more chili and less oil, so I modified it a bit.  What I love about Ms. Nguyen's recipe is that it's so simple, straightforward, and easily modified based on one's personal preferences.

Chili Oil Recipe, adapted from Andrea Nguyen

-1/4 Cup of dried pepper flakes or coarsely ground chilies
-1/2 Cup of oil
-Jar that will hold 1/2 cups of oil (e.g. half pint jar)

1. Put chili flakes in a dry glass jar.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the oil to 325 to 350 degrees F.  If you drop a chili flake into the oil, the flake will gently sizzle.  (You don't want the oil hotter than 350 degrees because you'll burn the chili flakes).
3. Pour the oil into the jar.  The chili flakes will sizzle and swirl.
4. Cool completely and cover the jar tightly.  The oil can be used immediately, but it will taste better after several days.  The oil will keep in cupboard for a long time.

I love using this oil (and the chili solids) in my soups, to fry eggs, to dip my food into, and anything else that I feel needs a good oily kick.  Let me know if you try this recipe or if you also love chili oil.

No comments: