Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tuesday's Tune: Lub Shijawn



I'm not an avid listener of Hmong music.  For whatever reasons, I'm just not.  Lately, I've been trying to listen to different Hmong artists on YouTube.  The above song, "Lub Sijhawm," is sung by Kristine Xiong, is one of the few songs that have stuck out in my mind.

My best translation of the song's title is "This Moment."  I don't know if the song was written by Kristine Xiong or if it's just a cover.  I hope someone can let me know (ahem...my sister that loves Hmong music, give me a shout).  I really like the simple music and the song itself.  Generally, I like the lyrics, but the syntax is written from an American mindset and then changed into Hmong words/phrases.  Unlike, this song, the song "Lub Sihawm" doesn't have as nice of a flow, in which I find a teeny tiny bit distracting (that's just me).  Overall, I still like this song very much and the message is so romantic.

Please let me know what you think of this song.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Live the moment cause it might never come again...

My Favorite Things said...

Hi Anonymous. I have been living in the moment (which has always been the hardest thing for me to do). I'm enjoying the present, and not worry too much about the future and stopped thinking too much about my past. How about you?

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely song. Reminds me to cherish & relive the romantic moments in life when life gets hectic.Thanks for sharing.

-ML jr KV

Aplysia Oceanography said...

I believe this is her original song. I have a really hard time with American Hmong sometimes. To the point where I need subtitles sometimes. This song is one of them unfortunately.