Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Image credit:  http://www.juniorlibraryguild.com
It's already the middle of April 2014 and I've been having a hard time picking up a book to read (any book, to be honest).  I haven't been feeling like myself lately and I don't really know why.  I love reading, and I read a lot of news and articles on the internet.  Maybe that's one of the contributors to my problem:  I'm finding it hard to disconnect from the internet and focus on non-electronic entertainment.  Ironically, I came across an internet article about the young adult book, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, written by Sherman Alexie.
Since this book came out in 2007, it's been banned by many schools and libraries across the US for its "inappropriate" language, adult themes, and racism (among other things).  The general story is written in a diary format from the perspective of the main character, Arnold Spirit, Jr.  He writes about his family, living on an Indian reservation in the Pacific Northwest, and attending an all white high school during his freshman year.  The book moved me, made me laugh, cry, and hope for a better future for all children in Arnold's situation.
Like the other young adult book I read, this book deals with very sad and very real situations.  Yet, the main difference is that this book is told from a teenage boy's perspective and the language is a lot less oppressive.   One could easily finish this book in one day.  I really liked this book and encourage you to purchase it or check it out from the library.  Read the book, not only because it's notable and will affect you, but also because it's been banned (take a stand against the banning of books).
Please let me know what you think of this book if you've read it or get a chance to read it.
If you want to find out more information about the banning of this book, go to this webpage:  http://bannedbooks.world.edu/2011/06/26/banned-books-awareness-absolutely-true-diary-parttime-indian/
If you want to find out more information about banned (and challenged) books in the US, go to this webpage:  http://bannedbooks.world.edu/2011/06/26/banned-books-awareness-absolutely-true-diary-parttime-indian/

2 comments:

Aplysia Oceanography said...

bring your copy for me to read. I wanna read it. Esp books that are banned. Makes me feel like a rebel. I also wanna know what the hype is all about.

My Favorite Things said...

Aplysia Oceanography, go and READ the book! You'll love it. There's cussing, coming of age sexual scenarios (for a teenager), and the expression of love (in so many ways). There's also a lot of sadness. Be a rebel again!