Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Picture credit:  http://prhslibrary.com/pictures/book-thief-300-dpi.jpg

Earlier in the year, my boss loaned me her son's copy of Markus Zusak's, The Book Thief .  The book is hailed as "brilliant," "extraordinary," and a "bestseller."  I usually don't let such mainstream accolades dictate what I should or shouldn't read.  I read a book (and will stop reading a book midway) because I choose to.  I finally finished the book this morning and I know why the book can be "life changing."

The story is told from Death's point of view, especially as it centers around Liesel Meminger's life during Nazi Germany from the late 1930s and early 1940s.  I will not give much away, other than that Liesel Meminger is one of the main characters (other than Death), she learns to read and write, she is a German girl living in Germany when Hitler has come to power, and she must endure many tragedies.

The book is well written.  It didn't come across like that at first, but it is well written.  To say that this book is gloomy, may be an understatement.  It's also a soul searing book, one that will spur you to ask why humans are the way they are.  The book's intended audience is young adults, which is a bit surprising due to the gruesome topics (e.g. death, war, Nazi Germany).  But then, tragic events occur and have occurred, and shouldn't be hidden nor sugar coated and spoon-fed to young adults.

I started reading the book earlier in the year, when Minnesota was still dark, dreary, and cold.  It also didn't help that my own soul was enveloped in its own sadness and darkness.   As I got into a quarter of the book, I had to set it aside.  I found the topics and emotions too hard on my already beaten down soul.  So, it sat around my house for the last several months.  Then about a week ago, I decided that I was ready to read this book again.  I think my soul was up to the challenge of finishing it.  I'm very glad that I did.  It's a great book, despite the gloominess.

There were so many points in the book that resonated with me.  I will briefly share one with you.  In the book, Liesel finally kisses her best friend, Rudy.  It's a bittersweet kiss, and reminds me of the bittersweet kisses I've had.  Unlike Liesel, I kissed my loves when it mattered the most, and if it was my last kiss, I made it count.

Anyhow, it's my understanding that a movie, based upon the book, was just released.  I haven't seen it, and I don't intend to see it any time soon.  The book really is wonderful and I don't want Hollywood's version of it ruining my memories of the book.  I'd encourage you to read The Book Thief if you have the time.  If you've already read it, let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Aplysia Oceanography said...

I'm going to read it now that you have recommended it. I was talking to my friend yesterday about this book. She recommended it to me too. She actually has the book, so she is gonna let me borrow it.
AO

My Favorite Things said...

Please go read it so we can talk about it. It's such a good book. It's even better when you finish it and then reread the first couple of pages again. Really, everything will come together and all the pieces will fall into place. It's such a profound and moving book.