Sunday, January 26, 2014

My Plans for Making Traditional Hmong Clothes

My youngest sister and I are embarking on an endeavor of great proportions: we are going to make our own set of Hmong clothes.  With no help from our mom.

This set of Hmong clothes is representative of the province my mother is from.
Growing up, my mom made all of her children's Hmong clothes.  When I say "Hmong clothes," I mean the pants, shirts, and aprons (sev).  Many of the "embellishments" (e.g. the dab tsho, the sashes, the money bags), she may purchase from another.  Each year I'd have a new outfit to wear to the Hmong New Year and I took that for granted.  For the last two or three years, my mom stopped making Hmong clothes for her children.  My sister says that her hands are becoming arthritic, while my mom says she just doesn't have time.  Regardless, I'm sad that I'm lacking in Hmong clothes (also, my mom told us that several years ago she threw away some of our Hmong clothes because she thought it was ugly).
This is one of my most favorite set of Hmong clothes because I love the black and purple brocade.
So, this year marks the beginning of me making my own set of traditional Hmong clothes.  I will specifically sew for myself the shirt, a pair of pants and two aprons.  One piece at a time, I'm telling myself.  I started making my own dab tsho/laug for this specific set of Hmong clothes.  Once I'm done, I'll focus on making the aprons, the pants, and the shirt (which I believe will be the most complicated).  Long term, I hope to make my own set of embroidered money bags and embroidered sash.  Yet, I won't think of that at this time. 

My youngest sister is also hoping to make her own set of traditional Hmong clothes to be worn with a skirt and not pants.  I have a feeling I might end up making her shirt for her.  Oh well. I'm wondering if I'm going to get any of this done in my lifetime.  I hope I do, and when I do, I'll let you all know.

4 comments:

Aplysia Oceanography said...

MFT, I don't think I will need your help just yet. I already talked to mom this morning and I told her that when I return this summer, I want her to teach me how to make Hmong clothes. She has already agreed that she is going to help me. She actually seems excited that I really want to learn! :)

Plus, I told you I wanted to make hybrid hmong inspired clothes. Not super traditional like you. I want more tribal-looking everyday wear so that I can wear them on a daily basis.

I will send u a picture of my cross stitching so far! I'm really like it so far. It's coming along quite nicely. I told mom about my inspiration for the piece. She seem to understand what I was saying but i don't think she seemed very intrigued.

LOL.

My Favorite Things said...

OMG! Serious? Okay, if you say so. AO, I think you should consider making a traditional set of Hmong clothes too, in addition to a hybrid Hmong inspired clothes. Just my opinion.

Aplysia Oceanography said...

MFT. I think I will. I think I will make a set of traditional clothes. I was just thinking about it today. I was thinking: I'm putting all this effort and hard work into it. I might as well make something nice that's worth it. :) So I am gonna make it. But the blue cross stitch i have right now is really big (14 count). I think i'm just gonna stick with my hybrid/batik inspired outfit first. and then do the traditional one a little bit later when my stitching skills are a little bit more refined.

I'm not as good as stitching and I don't do what you do, where you seem to do a line at a time. I separated the stitches to blocks and I do a block at a time. I haven't been able to see things in my head yet. that's what i'm working on right now. learning how to see the shapes and patterns on the cross-stitch.

My Favorite Things said...

AO, I'm not going to hate (like our other sisters). I'm glad that you're considering making a traditional set of Hmong clothes. Hopefully you'll get to wear it this New Year. Yay!!!