Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hmong Paj Ntaub: Another Crafting Endeavor

If it's not apparent from previous postings, I am of Hmong heritage.  If you want to learn more about Hmong Americans, go here.  Growing up Hmong American, my mother forced my sisters and me to learn to hand sew, embroider, and cross stitch.  In Hmong, it's all known as paj ntaub.  I didn't totally understand nor really appreciate Hmong paj ntaub until I got older.  By now, I realize how valuable it is, especially as more and more Hmong paj ntaub are made by machine and not by hand.
My mom's style of traditional Hmong clothes. 
The dab tsho a.k.a. laug, sits at the nape of the shirt and is underneath the silver necklace.
Before the beginning of this year, I told myself I would try my hand at making a dab tsho a.k.a. laug, which is a decorative square piece of cloth that sits at the nape of a woman's shirt.  The dab tsho/laug can be appliqued, embroidered, cross stitched, or a combination of all.  I intend to cross stitch my first dab tsho/laug because it's the easiest method.  Once I'm feeling more confident, I may try a different technique or a combination of techniques. For now, my biggest concern, as others who know me well, is whether I will actually finish it by the end of this year (or if it will ever be finished).  My ultimate goal is to make a complete Hmong outfit for myself, in which the dab tsho/laug is only a piece of the whole.
Left, Top and Bottom: Both use applique and embroidery techniques.
Right, Top: Uses reverse applique and embroidery techniques.
Right, Bottom:  Uses cross stitch technique.

I'm actually quite excited about starting this new project, despite my many many other ongoing projects (seriously, who cares about a clean house, LOL).  I need to come up with a design and the colors I'd like to work with.  My mom gave me a couple of dab tsho/laug right before I came home so I could use them as a reference.  I also took lots of pictures when I was in California for inspiration.  I also came across this Hmong blogger whose blog has offered lots of great insight into Hmong clothing and Hmong paj ntaub.  

If I ever finish my dab tsho/laug, I'll blog about it.  :)  Do you find the handmade dab tsho/laugs impressive and beautiful?

Please check out the Hmong  blogger at:  http://theartofhmongembroidery.wordpress.com/

To read more about Hmong clothing and the different styles:  http://www.hmongembroidery.org/hmongattire.html

2 comments:

Nou said...

I am so glad that I am providing some insight into Hmong Embroidery for you. That is, after all, one of the many reasons I started my blog. If you ever have any questions or need help getting a hold of specific fabric, thread, or more pattern ideas please contact me. I would be more than happy to help!

My Favorite Things said...

Nou, thanks for your comment. Really, your blog has been very inspirational and informative to me. It gives me hope that someone else appreciates the "traditional" Hmong clothes. Keep posting because I look forward to reading your blog.