Sunday, December 2, 2012

Oil Cleansing

As a teen, I had normal skin with a slight oily T-zone.  I broke out every now and then (like I do now), but my face was pretty clear.  Now, my skin is mostly dry, especially during the winters.  Of course, the dry winters here isn't the sole reason for my facial dryness and I recognize that aging is a contributing factor.  Unfortunately, I somewhat ignored the state of my skin for the last two years, but seeing that this year my skin wasn't getting any better, I began looking for new ways to moisturize my face.
 
I use to wash my face with water and facial cleansers from the store.  However, in the last several years, especially during the winter time, I have found the water/soap routine really dried out my skin.   Lately, I've just washed my face with water, which I don't think actually gets rid of dirt. 
 
So, in my search for a new and more natural moisturizer, I came across some information/bloggers who use oil to clean their skin.  I found it quite intriguing and decided to give it a go.
 
I went to my co-op store and found castor oil and apricot kernel oil.  I used regular extra virgin olive oil too.   I found an empty and clean bottle, and mixed together an equal amount of all three oils (1/3 castor oil, 1/3 apricot oil, and 1/3 extra virgin olive oil).  Once the oils have been mixed, I poured a little oil into my palm (about a tablespoon) and rubbed the oil over my face and neck.  I kept it on for about 2-5 minutes.  Then I dipped a washcloth into hot water, wring out the water, and use the towel to wipe off the oil.  It feels luxurious.  Right now my skin feels so soft.  I don't think I even need to moisturize.  I'll let you know how this all turns out, whether it makes my skin looks supple, and if it causes me to break out.  Right now I'm loving how my skin feels.
 
Please check out these blogs for more information about oil cleansing and the different types of oil for facial cleansing:  http://www.crunchybetty.com/nitty-gritty-on-the-oil-cleansing-method and http://aishawood.blogspot.com/2008/04/ocm-oil-cleansing-method.html
 
Here's another perspective on oil cleansing:  http://www.alreadypretty.com/2012/02/my-thoughts-on-oil-cleansing.html

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so soft

My Favorite Things said...

Hi Anonymous. Yes, my skin has been feeling so soft. Of course, the winter so far hasn't been as harsh, but my skin is feeling much more protected. I'm even noticing that some of my wrinkles have minimized.

Anonymous said...

Good to know

Aplysia Oceanography said...

Has it been working? any breakouts??

Aplysia Oceanography said...

I have the total opposite problem. :(

My Favorite Things said...

Aplysia Oceanography, I actually like it and I haven't had any breakouts. I haven't stopped, but I haven't been consistent. I'll soon be using my own homemade soap on my face, so it won't be using the oil method as much as I use to.