Monday, December 24, 2012

Lime Buttermilk Pound Cake


My lovely mom (yes, my lovely mom) sent me a bagful of key limes.  Since I had some time on my hand (can you believe that I even finished a sock monkey yesterday), I wanted to bake, and I wanted to use the limes that I just got.  So, I made a pound cake.  I adapted the following recipe from another recipe I found online.  The glaze recipe is my own.
The cake is soft and the crumb is tender but holds up well.  I love the citrus flavor and the lime glaze really adds more citrus flavor to the cake.
Lime Buttermilk Pound Cake
 
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 Tablespoon of lime juice
Zest of one lime
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
 
Preheat oven to 350F.
1.  Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan or a bundt cake.
2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
3.  In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in lime juice and zest.
4.  Beat in the eggs one at a time until well-combined.
5.  In a measuring cup or small bowl, combine buttermilk and vegetable oil. Working in two or three additions, alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture to the butter mixture, ending with a final addition of dry ingredients. Stir only until no streaks of flour remain. Pour into prepared pan.
6.  Bake for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Unmold the cake and pour lime glaze over the cake while the cake is still warm.

Lime Glaze

3 Tablespoon of lime juice
1 C powdered sugar

Mix the two together.  If the glaze is too thick add in a teaspoon more of lime juice or water.

Enjoy!

The lemon buttermilk pound cake recipe can be found at this website:  http://bakingbites.com/2010/04/lemon-buttermilk-pound-cake/

5 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! you should send some lime pie to momma and tell her you used her limes for it. She'd love it!

Unknown said...

Chen Fue would love this! As he would say "yum nom"

My Favorite Things said...

Kia, I'd love to try and send something to mom. Yet, it might be best that I make it for you all when I come home.

Anonymous said...

When are you coming?

Meinvue

My Favorite Things said...

I'll let everyone know when I'm coming home. When I do, I have to bring Bling Bling with me too (so, double the love).

Also, when I do get home, I will make and can lots of salsa for you and the rest of our family members. It's a lot cheaper that way.