Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fairy Gardening

Photo: Joel Koyama, Star Tribune, September 5, 2012
I first read about fairy gardening from a blog several years ago.  Generally, fairy gardening is where one creates a miniature garden space (may it be in a little box or in a space set aside in the outdoors) for little gardeners to imagine and create a special world.  Of course, one doesn't have to have a fairy in the garden, but it would be nice.  I think fairy gardening is a wonderful way to get little ones to learn about and get interested in gardening.
Photo: Nancy DuBrule-Clemente, Shoreline Times, August 17, 2012
The thought of fairy gardening has been percolating in the back of my head and I've been wanting to start one.  I really wish my sisters lived closer so that I can share the joys of fairy gardening with my nieces and nephews.  At the very least, I wish I could create a little fairy world with my youngest sister, since I think she might be into this kind of stuff.
Photo: Joel Koyama, Star Tribune, September 5, 2012
Are you interested in fairy gardens?  Do you already have a fairy garden?

An article from the Star Tribune:  http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/homegarden/168494136.html?refer=y; for the pictures: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/homegarden/168494136.html

Another article about fairy gardening: http://www.shorelinetimes.com/articles/2012/08/17/life/doc502e7abf0e7e7186858594.txt

For more stories about fairy gardening (you can also search the blog with the word "fairy"):  http://chiotsrun.com/2011/10/26/fairy-gardening/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should put yoda in your fairy garden. How awesome is that.

Anonymous said...

Meinvue

My Favorite Things said...

Lol! Maybe I will create a fairy garden especially for Yoda. Thanks for the idea, Mein.

Unknown said...

After 33 years, I'm starting to love gardening however I suck at it. Everything I plant dies or turns brown eventually. I still haven't given up. I would love a fairy garden to share with my boys esp when my boys are young.

-Kia

My Favorite Things said...

Kia, next time I'm in town, we can try and start something for your kids. I think it would be fun.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful it would be to share with young ones and to get them interesting in garden. Thanks for the idea! CG