Sunday, May 20, 2012

Goodbye My Honey(crisp)

Sometimes in life, one must say goodbye to one's honey, even when one doesn't want to.  Goodbye my honey, how I have loved you, despite our brief encounter.
Today, I discovered that my honey, more specifically my dwarf honeycrisp apple tree, broke right at the graft knot.  It must have occurred last night when a horrible horrible thunderstorm came through my area (the winds were quite harsh).   Oh, the three years.  Three years may seem long but actually three years is rather quite short and brief (in terms of plant years).  Generally, the third year is often the anticipated year in which a fruiting plant is considered mature enough to support fruit.  I have waited for fruit from this tree, but it is not to be.  I don't want to say goodbye, but I must.  Goodbye my honeycrsip.  Goodbye my honey.
(By the way, if you want to find out more information about grafting, please check out the following website:  http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/factsheets/ecogardening/appleroot.html.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear of your loss. I was hoping to see that honey tree bare fruit this year. However its good news you are safe. G

My Favorite Things said...

G, thanks for your concern. I'm not the only one hoping that the honeycrisp apple tree bear fruit this year. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.