Thursday, May 26, 2011

Yummy Stinging Nettle

Yep, you read it correctly. Stinging nettle is yummy. And it doesn't sting when cooked.


You see, since trading houses, I have a lot more land to take care of while also finding various plants on my land. I was aware of the stinging nettle growing on my property and I didn't want to eradicate it. As many of you are aware, the plant stings. The sting will last several minutes, but I find it to be quite painful. I didn't want to eradicate the plant because I read that it was a favorite to beneficial insects (e.g. certain butterflies).


Also, last summer, I came across several websites and blogs stating that stinging nettle is edible. Since stumbling on these websites and blogs, I've been wanting to try stinging nettle as a dish. It was only today that I got the nerve to give it a try. I collected some nettle (use gloves to avoid the sting), rinsed and took off the leaves off from the stem, and blanched the leaves in hot water. I then pan fried the blanched leaves in olive oil. I ate it with rice and hot pepper. It was yummy. It really reminded me of the vegetables that my mom cooked for us to eat when I was living with her. In particular, it reminded me of pan fried pumpkin leaves (my siblings know exactly what I'm talking about). Apparently, cooked nettle has a lot of vitamins and nutrients (see thttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle). I'm just excited that I have a lot of "free" food in my yard, ready for the picking.

I would recommend that you try some if any is made available to you. Of course, I would recommend that you find out what kind of environment your nettle grew in before you consume it. For example, I think I'm the only person on my street that doesn't spray insecticide or pesticide on my grass, in my yard, or near my property. The stinging nettle grows "wild" on my property, so I think it's pretty safe to eat. Anyhow, if you're ever in my neck of the woods and want to try stinging nettle, just come and visit me.

No comments: