Saturday, May 28, 2011

Gardening To My Heart's Delight

Today is such a beautiful day. The sun came out, there is a slight breeze, and no mosquitoes (yet). I'm currently sitting on my deck and just enjoying the view.

This morning, I got up early and started planting rows of hostas around my home and in the shadier spots. A co-worker needed to thin out her hosta beds so she offered me her plants, so long as I was willing to dig it out. Of course, I wasn't going to say no to free hostas. So yesterday after work, in the rain, I went to her house and dug up lots of hosts. Sad to say, I didn't have enough containers and I took as many as I could, but she still had LOTS of hostas that needed to be thinned out and to be removed.

This morning, I also started my vegetable garden. I originally was going to establish my garden on the southeastern side of my yard, but changed my mind when I saw that the site didn't get enough sun (due to the trees on that side of the yard). So, I've opted for the southwestern side of my yard and hopefully that site will receive at least five hours of sunlight. I've been trying to keep track of the sunlight that my yard gets. Anywhoo, I've already planted four potato buds (two red potatoes, two russett). I just purchased A LOT of tomato plants and hot pepper plants (my little seedlings that I started didn't do well) and will plant them late in the afternoon. I find that the best time to transplant plants is early in the morning or in the late afternoon. This way, the heat from the sun doesn't further distress the plant because the plant is already going through its own shock from the transplant.

I also need to plant my strawberry plants too. Hopefully, my strawberry plants are still alive. I hope to write more about this. Hopefully, I'll keep you updated.

No comments: