Sunday, May 29, 2011

Skeeter Syndrome

I was bit today by three mosquitoes while using my weed-wacker to get rid of weeds. Unfortunately, I had a bad allergic reaction to one of the bites, which is on my right hand. Can you see the HUGE, red bump that has formed on my hand, right underneath my index and middle finger? This has happened before in the past and I've never seen a doctor about it, but in doing my own research, I think I may have a condition known as Skeeter Syndrome. You can read more about it at the following website: http://allergies.about.com/od/insectallergies/a/mosquitoallergy.htm.

I think it depends on the type of mosquito that bites me, but many bites I've received in the past (and the one today) have resulted in my skin swelling and turning red around the bite area. Several bites have not only left my skin swollen and red, but the swelling would grow beyond the bite mark, with the skin getting hot, taut, and feverish. On those occasions, I would use ice cubes to cool down my skin. I don't think the bite is even itchy because the skin is so hot, taut, and a little painful when touched.

I hope I didn't gross you out. At least my mosquito bite isn't itchy, hasn't swollen to encompass the rest of my hand, and it isn't hot when touched.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Usually mosquitoes don't like to bit me, however when I was in San Diego I got bitten and man did it hurt. How big are the mosquitoes in your neck of the wood?

BaşakGöktekin said...

The exact same thing happens to me everytime I get bitten by a mosquito.:(