Monday, October 6, 2008

Persimmons

While browsing the web today, I came across a blurb about persimmons and how this fruit can be grown in the United States. What I thought was so interesting was that this fruit has been grown in the US even before the establishment of Jamestown. For some reason, I’ve always associated persimmons with the tropics. I guess my perception can be attributed to the way I was first introduced to persimmons. As far back as I can remember, I think the first time I saw a persimmon, was when I was a teenager shopping in Asian markets (which often carried many different exotic produce and products that weren’t found in the typical American markets). However, I didn’t come to fully appreciate this fruit until three to four years ago.

There are two general types of persimmons: the American persimmon and the Asian persimmon. With regards to the American persimmon, it’s my understanding that the tree grows very well in the eastern and southern regions of the US, which is consistent with the zones that the tree would grow in (zones 6-8). Generally, these persimmon trees grow well in almost any type of soil, provide great foliage, and need more than one tree to fruit. There are some discussions as to whether these trees will grow in Zone 4 and actually fruit. Apparently, there's a nursery advertising on its webpage that it has a tree, Meader Persimmon (Diospyrus virginiana), hardy to Zone 3 and doesn’t need a male tree to pollinate with. I’m a bit curious because I would love to have a persimmon tree in my yard (of course I have to ask myself where I would put that tree).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where would you put this tree? Next to your garden or to your cherry tree? What about next to your rasberry bushes?

My Favorite Things said...

I don't know. I was hoping that you'd be able to help me figure that out . . . considering that I'll end up planting, pruning, and taking care of it. Hence, you might as well provide a little help :)