Saturday, October 11, 2008

"Monkee" the Sock Monkey

So, is my monkey cute? He's made out of a pair of socks, used but very clean.

For some reason, I've become interested in making sock monkeys and sock animals. When my siblings and I were younger, we had a sock monkey. I believe it may have been made from original Rockford Red Heel Socks because I remember that it was a splotchy brown with a big red mouth and big red behind. As a child, I didn't hate the monkey, but it had a scary element to make it not cute and not cuddley enough for me to become attached to it.

Anyhow, Rockford Red Heel Sock monkeys are still very popular (you can find some information about how the whole sock monkey phenom began by visiting this website: http://www.wildaboutsockmonkeys.com/history.html). Lucky for me, any pair of socks can be used to make a sock monkey. I found instructions at this website to make Monkee: http://lennytaylor.freeyellow.com/Monkey.htm. I think I might make a couple more to give away as gifts. I'd encourage you to try and make your own sock monkey.

No comments: