Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Rose by Any Other Name, Still Wouldn't Smell

I once made the mistake of saying that I would not purchase a rose bush if the rosees did not have a fragrance. Was I ever ignorant. After educating myself a little bit about roses, I learned that there are beautiful roses available on the market that are recently developed (last several decades), but lack a fragrance. For example, I have a Blushing Knockout Rose and a Rainbow Knockout Rose, in which both rose bushes lack a fragrance.

It's not that rose breeders intend to create a rose that would not have a fragrance (seriously, who would intentionally breed a non-fragrant rose for commerical purposes). It's just that in trying to create a rose that would be disease resistant (e.g. powdery mildew, blackspot), would flower continuously throughout the summer (it's hard to believe that roses only flowered once), and/or be hardy to colder climates, the fragrance is unintentionally bred out. For those who live in warmer climates, there is a variety of fragrant roses to chose from, which I think is a luxury. However, I think those living in colder climates don't have that luxury. As I mentioned before, unless one is willing to "tip" one's roses every fall (and I will admit that I am too lazy to tip), then one is forced to choose a rose bush that is still beautiful but lacks a fragrance, or keep on purchasing new rose bushes every spring.

No comments: