Thursday, October 18, 2007

Pride and Prejudice


Okay, I will admit that I was prejudiced about the 2005 movie, Pride & Prejudice (which premiered in the US on November 11, 2005). I thought the movie was going to be mindless and vacuous, in which the movie’s romance would be driven by marketing executives. My prejudice was further fueled by my opinion that too many movies today, that are based on a book, have been poorly made and often don’t live up to the spirit of the book. [Not surprising, the book is often way better than the movie.] So, I resisted watching the movie.

Then one evening in the spring of 2007 (almost two years later) I happen to catch the movie on cable. And I am not ashamed to admit that I was so very wrong about the 2005 Pride & Prejudice movie. I’m so in love with that movie right now, and I will admit that I’ve been watching the movie more often than I should (at least three times in a week, especially since I got the DVD as a birthday gift). The cinematography and the musical score is FANTASTIC. The director’s vision of the movie is very different from the book, but it’s so beautiful. Kiera Knightley makes a wonderful Elizabeth Bennet and Matthew McFadyen is so dreamy as Mr. Darcy. Even though this movie does not strictly follow the book (like the 1995 BBC mini-series, aka the “Colin Firth version”), the movie lives up to the spirit of Jane Austen’s book. I won’t go on and on about what I love about this movie, but I believe that it’s well made, and I personally believe that it’s better than the 1995 BBC version.

Anyhow, if you have not seen the movie, go rent it. Or else, you can just wait to watch it with me. The movie will make you swoon and believe in romance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ML- Zer made me watch this movie, I thought it was "okay". I think I missed a few things about it. The ending was nice and happily ever after, but whatever...it's a fairy tale. Anyway...Zer has the movie and I think she likes it also. I may need to rewatch it again to catch the gist of the story.-ML Kia