Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A (Cherry) Tree Grows in St. Paul


About a month ago, I purchased and planted a Mesabi cherry tree. The tree is now in my backyard and I’m so happy that it’s there (and I have not yet lamented about the price I paid for it).

I actually did a lot of research about cherry trees before I made my purchase. I had to consider the fact that I needed a cherry tree hardy to my zone (I’m in Zone 4), not only so that it can withstand Minnesota’s harsh winters, but it needed to be able to fruit in Minnesota’s short summers. I also needed a tree that was self pollinating, or else I would've had to purchase two cherry trees. For example, I was told that a Bing cherry tree needed a pollinator, in other words, another cherry tree in order for the Bing cherry tree to fruit (FYI-one can grow a Bing cherry tree in Minnesota, but it wouldn’t fruit adequately because of the weather here). I also needed a dwarf-sized cherry tree, due to my small back yard. Lastly, I wanted a tree that would provide cherries that I could pick and eat. Many sweet cherries (such as the Bing cherry) are grown on the West Coast, but sour cherries (cherries used in making pies) are mainly grown in the Midwest. Generally, sour cherries often have to be cooked first before it can be eaten. So, after much research, I purchased my Mesabi cherry tree (which was developed by the University of Minnesota), which produced semi-sweet and tart cherries that I could pick and eat.

To make the long story short, I’m really excited that I'm growing a cherry tree in my yard. I think it’s three to five years old and I’m hoping that it will fruit within the next two to three years (yes, it sounds like a long time, but time does fly by).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realize this is an old post, but I am wondering how your Mesabi Cherry tree is doing? I just did some research myself & came to the same conclusion that the Mesabi is the best option for me to grow here in Minneapolis. I was hoping to find one to plant this fall, but haven't had any luck yet. May I ask where you bought your tree from and how much did it cost? (I am worried from your post that it might be too expensive for me.) Thanks so much, Melanie

My Favorite Things said...

Hi Melanie. I purchased my tree from one of the local nurseries for about $70. I've since moved, but it's my understanding that the tree is doing great. You can actually purchase any of the sour cherry trees from any of the local nurseries (e.g. Bachman, Linders) and they will do well in Minneapolis. I suggest you check out the Friends School Plant Sale in the spring, where the prices are cheaper (especially on the last day). You can find more information at hte following website: http://friendsschoolplantsale.com/

Hope this was helpful.

Anonymous said...

I am in Montana and have a Mesabi, which I planted about 5 years ago. It currently produces enough fruit for at least 4 cherry pies. Very tasty cherries, but you have to wait until they are completely ripe to get that sweetness for fresh eating. I am surprised how well it's doing because I haven't fertilized it in some time.

Anonymous said...

I live in Brooklyn Center, MN. I have 2 Bing Cherry and 2 Black Tartarian Cherry. Both types are about 6 years old. They have produced about 20 Cherries each the last 2 seasons (2013-2014). It is NOT true that these trees will NOT produce fruit due to the short season. Mine do, and this year it looks like I will get 40 or so Cherries on each tree.

Anonymous said...

I have a seven year planted, mesabi cherry in s mpls and it has produced as many Cherries as I my family of 4 can eat and freeze for three years. My kids love the tree and it fits well in my smallish garden yard....with two apples and an apricot tree, we have maxed it out orchard style.

Renata said...

I bought a mess.i cherry tree a few years back.it took a few years to produce cherries, now the tree was full of them,the time for them growing &you getting them off the tree is very short.i was ready to give a friend a lot of them.this Friday I was eating cherries, I said Saturday I'll start bagging them up.i get up Saturday morning, every single cherry is dead.very disappointing. Now I know the absolute timeline.