Saturday, December 1, 2018

Quilt From Shirts: Finally Done


It's been several weeks since I've  finally finished my quilt made mostly (to be explained below) from dress shirts. It has spent some time waiting patiently to be finished and I'm so happy to be done with it. Hooray me!

I had intended to make a dress shirt quilt years ago (maybe before 2015), and probably actively collected 100% cotton dress shirts for it (in 2015). Yet, it wasn't until last winter in 2017 that I thought I had enough shirts (about 5-6 shirts) and began cutting up the shirts and sewing it together to make the quilt top. I was really inspired by a dress shirt  quilt made by Richard Killeaney called "Missing the Point," but I also have no patience for sewing up small strips together like his. Regardless, I made something similar and I really love the final result.

The blanket fits a twin size bed and would cover a full. In the picture above, it's laid on top a queen size bed. Now, the top is mostly made up of dress shirts from my Mr. Man and me. I've also added some quilting gray cotton fabric because I didn't have enough shirt fabric that was wide enough. The back of the fabric is a whole cloth that features old dictionary pages (which I really like). I hand quilted straight stitches across each horizontal panel using a different thread color (white, navy blue, or gray-blue) for each panel.  I think the quilt would be more eye-pleasing if all of the horizontal lines were more narrow and the same width; yet, as I stated above, I didn't have the patience. I really didn't want this project to linger on any more. (I have a quilting project that's been lingering on for over ten years, ugh!) So, here it is in all of its finished glory.

I've got so many other quilting projects that I'd like to work on. Let me know what you think of this quilt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy

Anonymous said...

Its good that you are finding time to sew and do your quilting. Keep it up.

My Favorite Things said...

Thanks, Anonymous. Yes, the intent is to try and get as much done as possible. I have so many projects and so many ideas for projects, but I also have just as many unfinished projects. This blanket was one that I really really wanted done!