Thursday, January 7, 2016

Pillow Covers


I started working on a red and white cross blanket last month (I'm almost done sewing the quilt top).  I also wanted to make matching throw pillows to go with the blanket.  What I eventually made in the end were semi-matching pillows, in which I reversed the cross and background colors for my pillow (my blanket has red crosses and a white background).  I used the same white fabric to make the cross, but a different red fabric for the background.


For the pillow forms, I found two cheap and ugly pillows at the thrift store (two for $2.99).  The red fabric are actually 100% cotton napkins (six napkins for $3.98), also from the thrift store.  I made the white crosses and then hand appliqued the crosses to the cotton napkins.  I sewed the napkins together along with a zipper on one side so I can take the cover on and off the pillow for easier cleaning.  Overall, I think I made each pillow for under $4.00, and the most expensive piece on the pillow is the zipper.


I'm really happy with the outcome.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist and the pillow doesn't look 100% perfect, but I'm okay with it because the pillow has character and looks great on my couch.  My Mr. Man has concerns that he might dirty up the white parts of the pillow.  Of course I told him to not use it (just kidding), but that's why I added the zipper feature to the pillow cover.  He's also so proud that I've actually gotten a sewing project done (especially in such a shorter time period).  Now, I just need to finish my quilt.


This website has really good instructions on how to sew zippered throw pillows.  (FYI, even if you don't have a sewing machine, you can still hand sew the zipper onto the pillow cover, and the instructions are still helpful and the best method to sew a zippered throw pillow.)

Do you have any projects that you've finished up?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully placing those around will provide some spiritual coverage for you and give less bad dreams? S

My Favorite Things said...

Anonymous, the cross on the pillow is meant to just be a design and not for spiritual coverage. (My dreams have been pretty vivid lately, but I think it has a lot to do with my current physical condition.) Regardless, I still pray and ask for lots of protection, and hope that all of my family and friends keep me in their prayers. I know I do.