Monday, October 20, 2014

Naturally Fermented Peppers


Every year, for the last several years, I've been pickling something.  May it be peppers (using vinegar) or cucumbers (using vinegar or naturally fermented) or cabbage (fermenting it into sauerkraut).  This summer has been quite busy for me and I'm pickling very late.  Despite the cool autumnal weather, it's allowed the growing season to continue longer than normal.  So, over the weekend, I went to the farmer's market and purchased peppers.


This year, I wanted to try pickling my peppers in a different way.  Rather than pickling the peppers with vinegar, I wanted to try fermenting it.  By fermenting the peppers, I only use salt and water that allows the peppers to "pickle" itself.  The end result creates peppers with good bacteria that's good for the gut.  Considering how much pickled peppers I eat through out the year, I wanted to add more good bacteria to my gut.

I used the following recipe.  Basically peppers, water and salt just make up the recipe.   If you want to read more about the salt and water ratio, go here

Here's my "step by step" instructions:  

-1.5 Tablespoon of Pickling Salt (or 100% Sea Salt)
-2 Cups of water
-Jalapeno (or mixed) peppers

1.  Mix salt and water until salt is dissolved, creating a brine.   Make more depending on how big your jar is or how many peppers you intend to pickle.  Basically, it's 1.5 tablespoon of salt for every two cups of water.
2.  Wash the peppers AND make slits into the peppers.
3.  Put the peppers into a large jar.
4.  Pour the brine into the large jar with peppers until the brine reaches almost the top.
5.  Put another small jar into the opening of the large jar.  (This helps to keep the peppers stay submerged under the brine.)  Pour some more brine into the large jar until the brine reaches the top.
6.  Keep the jar of peppers on top of a plate or bowl (to catch any brine that may spill out), on the counter and out of direct sunlight.  
7.  Keep an eye on the jar of peppers to ensure that the peppers stay under the brine.  Ensure that the peppers stay under the brine.  
8.  Each day or every other day, push down on the peppers and make sure the brine continues to cover the peppers.  Keep adding more brine if necessary.  
9.  If bubbles or mold floats to the top, scoop it out and continue to keep the jar of peppers on the counter.  After a couple of days, maybe a week, you'll notice a "pickle" smell coming from your jar.  
10.  After two weeks, you should be able to taste your peppers.  If the peppers are to your liking, can put a lid on the peppers and put it in the refrigerator.


Happy pickling and let me know how it turns out.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your recipes, simple and easy to do. I will try it.

My Favorite Things said...

Anonymous, let me know how your fermented peppers turn out. I'm glad that you continue to like pickled peppers.