Sunday, May 11, 2014

Another Year, Another Garden

My three raised beds, needing lots of love and attention.  Do you see the spring onions in the middle bed?
I really don't know what's wrong with me.  I'm ready for winter to be over, but not for spring to begin.  I'm feeling so off and I don't know why.  This year, I even thought to myself that maybe, just maybe, I might forgo having a garden.  Of course, there was still a little spark inside of me telling me that I must start my garden or else I will regret not having one by summer's end.  So, today I went out and cleared my garden beds.
My first time growing cabbage seedlings.
It was definitely a tough job, like every other year.  The good thing is that I've done so much weed removal in previous years and the fallen leaves (which I don't rake up in the fall) does a great job smothering any potential weeds.  Today, I cleared out and added compost to three of my four raised beds and to several of my in ground garden beds.  I still have two more in ground beds and a raised bed to clear out, but at least I got half of my garden finished.

The "after" picture of my raised beds.  The garlic is coming along nicely.
Today, I planted two squash plants, two zucchini plants, cabbage seedlings, basil, cilantro, turnips, carrots, peas, lettuce, and potatoes.  I still have to plant my tomato plants, but I have to wait for a couple of days (I have a specific way as to how I plant my tomatoes and I'm still gathering everything for the planting of my tomatoes).  I need to go look for some pepper plants, but that will be all I intend to plant.  I'm really scaling back on what I'm planting this year.

How's your garden coming along?  Did winter throw you for a loop too and you're not ready for a spring garden?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! So excited that you have a garden! My garden has gone awry as the boys play in it; therefore it now belongs to the boys. Oh well...I'm jealous!

ML Jr.KV

My Favorite Things said...

ML Jr.KV, it's never too late to start and keep potted veggies (e.g. tomatoes) and grow herbs in pots. Good luck to you.