Thursday, October 31, 2013

Monster

Photo credit:  www.vibe.com
I'm really rocking out to Eminem's, "The Monster," which features Rihanna.  I love the introspective lyrics and the hook sung by Rihanna.  The song's title is perfect for Halloween, but the song itself has an enduring quality.

Tuesday evening, while talking to a friend, our conversation became focused on my writing and the dang novels I've been working on (yes, there's actually more than one novel).  I've written the rough draft of the first novel and I'm now editing it.  I told her that I'm not enjoying editing because it felt like an uphill battle.  I knew that editing was going to be hard, but I didn't realize how hard it was. I originally thought it was hard to write things down and to make up a story, but it's even harder to reread what I've written and to try and make the story coherent.  I was telling her how I really miss the simple days when all I did was just free write down ideas, thoughts, sentences, and hope that it all made sense at some point.  I guess that's why I started a second novel.  In my second novel, I'm still forming the story line and just coming up with things to put on paper so that it becomes a story.

While talking with her, I referenced this song and how Eminem wishes for the simpler days before he was known.  Now, I don't know if my novels will ever be published and I don't know if anybody other than me will get to read my novels, but I understand where Eminem's coming from.  Regardless of whether there is fame or not, his song reminds me that I need to focus on the present and enjoy the writing process.  The present, the here and now, the creative writing process, that's what I'm loving.  I think I'm going to have to learn to love the editing process too.  I might not have love for the entire process later on and I don't want to look back and regret not enjoying the process as it is now (including the editing process), when it was all still so simple.

Check out Eminem's "The Monster" at this link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXXi19_7iE

If you want to read the lyrics, then go to this link:  http://rapgenius.com/Eminem-the-monster-lyrics

No comments: