Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday's Quote: Edmund Burke

"You can never plan the future by the past."---Edmund Burke

 


I have a dear friend, whom I care very much about.  This friend has so gone through so much in the last several years.  Of course, I only wish this friend much life, laughter, and love.  Yet, I am also sad to see how much this friend thinks that the future is heavily influenced by the past.  Yes, the past does affect the future, but at the same time, one can still shape one's future.  Nothing is set in stone and the future cannot be planned according to one's past.  If I could tell this friend one thing, it is that one needs to let go of one's fears (especially those based on past experiences) and to just let the future happen.

Well, I am well aware that my future cannot be planned according to what has happened in the past.  The person I thought I loved the most at one point in my life and held onto for so long (since I thought I could continue to love him in the future) turned into someone I no longer want in my life.  The person that I had hoped to have a future with, because I thought he had a big heart and was so honest with me, has become someone who is selfish and uncompromising.  The person I have hurt the most, whom I thought I could never have a future with, is someone I now think I can have a future with because my views and tolerance have changed a bit.  Yes, I can never plan my future by my past.  Life would be too hard to live.

How about you?  Have you realized that you can never plan your future by your past?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

True story - you can't predict the future exactly but you can influence it. :). The past may creep up on you once in a while and show itself in your present or future but you can still choose a good future outcome.