Sunday, April 21, 2013

Seedlings Update

I started my indoor planting of seeds last month, the weekend before I visited my family.  When I came back, I was disappointed to find that nothing had sprouted.  Nothing.  I wasn't sure what the cause was.  At first, I thought the seeds I used were too old.  I was just going to throw away what I had and restart.  Well, thank goodness that it took me some time to get around to throwing things away because I noticed some sprouts coming out.  Now, I have a couple more and some of them are on their way to developing their first "true leaves."

I think the lack of sun (it has been a very long long winter) and the cold room may have been contributing factors.  Even with the heat mat, I don't think the temperature was raised beyond 60 degrees F.  Many seeds, especially certain peppers and tomatoes, require a high temperature (such as 65 - 75 degrees F) in order to germinate.  So, I've moved my seedlings out of that room and into a different area.  Hopefully, it will be warmer and there will be more sunshine.

Did you decide to start any of your own plants from seeds this year?

No comments: