Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Making Soap

With the heavy snowstorm from over the weekend, the roads in the Twin Cities are still trying to clear much of the snow from the roads.  Of course, the roads have been crazy and scary, and make me just want to be home.  Anyhow, I won't go on and on about the weather and the horrible driving conditions.  I will, however, write about what I made this weekend - soap.
Uncut block of homemade soap with lavender buds mixed in.
Yes, I made soap.  Specifically, I made cold processed soap bars using all natural ingredients.  Before embarking on the process, I read a lot of articles and watched a lot of YouTube videos.  Despite the initial scary aspect of working with lye for the first time, the process was pretty simple.  I won't go into all of the details of how I made my soap because there are so many useful blogs and videos already on the web that are way more useful and informative, and I'll list them down below.
Buttermilk honey oat soap, hand cut into little bars.
 
I made two bars of soap.  The first one I made has vegetable oils and lavender buds.  It has a faint lavender scent and a creamy ivory color.  Even though I think the soap is unisex, it has a very feminine look to it.  The second soap I made also has vegetable oils, but uses buttermilk, honey, and oats.  The soap is turning a lovely tan color.  Once more, I think the soap is unisex but it does have a masculine look to it.  Of course, I'm very excited to try out both of these new bars of soap, but the bars of soap need to be cured first (basically sit around for some time); thus, I should be able to use this soap in about four weeks.
 
Do you have a favorite soap?  Have you purchased or made handmade soap?
 
If you would love to try making your own soap, check out the following blogs and videos: 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the lavender smell. I'll consider making some too

My Favorite Things said...

Really Anonymous? You, too? Well, if you ever make any and would like to swap a bar with you. Just let me know. :)