Thursday, October 11, 2012

Barn Bluff

Downtown Red Wing, with Barn Bluff in the distance.
This past weekend was a busy one.  In addition to getting over a cold and making apple juice, I climbed Barn Bluff, located in Red Wing, Minnesota.
The hike up Barn Bluff.
 It was a very clear but cool day, with lots of wind.  My friend and I wanted to just go and see the fall foliage in southern Minnesota, so we ended up in the city of Red Wing.  While there, we noticed that there was a really big bluff in the distance.  After inquiring from locals as to how to get to the base of the bluff, and finally finding our way there, we started our hike.

The winding path, going through the forest and up Barn Bluff.
We opted to go around the base and up the bluff, where it was forested.  I love going through that path.  The sky was intensely blue, the canopy of leaves were ablaze with color, and the forest was quiet and calm.  This is sappy, but I totally felt as if I was walking through the forest setting in my favorite movie, "The House of Flying Daggers."  It was so beautiful.
The base of the bluff is on the right of this picture.  Love the leaves.
We eventually got to the top of the bluff and then headed down the bluff from the northern point, using the stairs that have been carved into the bluffs.  I have to be honest and say that my friend was very insistent that we find this bluff and climb it.  I was a bit hesitant because it was cold and windy outside, and I was recovering from my cold.  I'm so glad that she was so insistent and I'm so glad that I climbed the bluff with her.  It was a relatively easy climb and the stroll through the forest was beautiful and well worth the effort.  The forested area is definately one of my favorite places to be in.
At the top of Barn Bluff.
Have you visited any areas to see the foliage change?  Or have you climbed any hills, bluffs, or mountains lately?
If you want to read more about Barn Bluff in Red Wing, Minnesota, check out the following website:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_Bluff_(Red_Wing,_Minnesota)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool. When I come to my. We should visit it.
N I thought house of flying daggers was in a bamboo forest.
Meinvue

My Favorite Things said...

Mein, if you're ever in MN, there are lots of cool places to see, especially if you love scenic routes and taking pictures of landscapes. In "The House of Flying Daggers," there are a lot of different types of forests, not just the bamboo forest. Go and rewatch the movie, you'll see what I mean

Anonymous said...

Really nice footage of southern MN foliage. It remind me when the characters in "The House of Flying Daggers" were trying to escape through the forest without the path tho. The colors were amazing in varies colors. It appears you had a good hike as well. Good for you and your friend. Thanks for sharing a place I might want to visit someday. Hill Billy

Unknown said...

Everyone could use more of these peaceful trails.

My Favorite Things said...

Kia, I agree with you. It was so beautiful and peaceful.