Friday, June 8, 2012

Friday's Quote: A.C. Benson

"Very often a change of self is needed more than a change of scene."---A.C. Benson

With each passing year, I find that I accumulate and have a harder time getting rid of stress.  Of course, a change of scenery is one option.  It's helpful to easily move around, travel, and lose oneself in another place.  Yet, I find that my stress follows me despite the change in scenery.  Of course, there's always the costs that comes with trying to change my scenery.

So, through the years, I have learned other mechanisms to cope with stress that bring changes within myself.  For example, I find that running helps me think out some of my problems.  I have found gardening to really help improve my mood (e.g. the discovery of new things growing in the garden, digging in the dirt, pulling out weeds), and I've also taken up simple yoga exercises to calm my mind and body.  I find that these methods are much more easier to deal with my stress than to just take off for a different scenery.
In what ways have you changed yourself instead of changing your scenery? 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think as you get older, we tend to have a harder time of changing instead of changing the scenery. Because we are set on our attitude, routine, and lifestyle so the easiest way is to fall back to our old habits. I've learned that you have to want too change in order to make things better then your scenery would be even better! G

My Favorite Things said...

G, you make a good point.