Thursday, May 31, 2012

May Blooms

I know it's the last day of May, but it is still May and I wanted to share what is blooming in my garden.  Every spring, I always intend to take more pictures of whatever is blooming in my garden, and at the end of each year, I realize that I didn't take as many pictures as I should have had.  So, I hope that this year I am trying to be more proactive.
 
The two pictures above are the two peony plants I have in my garden.  Have I mentioned that I love peonies?  They remind me so much of roses, but are so easy to grow.  I love the pink peony, but the pale peachy colored peony smells heavenly and I love how it has so many petals.  I didn't think that I would actually get any peonies at all, despite this being the plants' third spring after it was planted.  Lets just say I'm really happy to have any peonies come up.
I also have several different types of irises too.  I love the purple and white irises above.  As you can tell, in the picture below, some of my irises have already bloomed.  I noticed that all of the irises have a sweet licorice smell to it. 
Lastly, I know that my rhubarb plant isn't putting forth any "blooms," but I just wanted to show it off.  I actually have five mature rhubarb plants growing in my garden.  This is also the third spring for these plants, and I really can't wait to harvest the stalks.  Of course I can harvest the stalks right now, but I'm waiting, trying to figure out what recipe I want to try.  I also need to find someone who's willing to eat the rhubarb with me too.  Apparently, some people don't like the taste of rhubarb.  Of course, I'll blog more about rhubarb.  I guess it's all about timing and just waiting for things to come together. 
So, do you have anything blooming in your garden?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful blossom in your neck of the woods. G

My Favorite Things said...

Thank you, G. Hope you've got things blooming in your neck of the woods too.