Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Cherry "Orchard"

This past weekend was pretty productive in my garden.  My lawn got mowed, my wood got split (some of it even got burned in a little bonfire), and I planted my two cherry trees.  I also noticed that my morello cherry tree had some beautiful cherry blossoms.  Now, I may have ordered a more mature cherry tree, but I didn't expect the tree to already be sending forth blossoms this year.  Well, I still love the beautiful cherry blossoms.
As for the other two cherry trees . . . I ordered and planted a Stella cherry tree and Lapins cherry tree.  Somehow, I learned a couple of seasons ago that it was possible to grow sweet cherries in my neck of the woods.  Of course I can't grow the typical sweet cherries found in the grocery store (e.g. Bing and Rainer), but I can grow sweet cherries such as Stella and Lapins, and neither needs a pollinator.  For the longest time, I thought I could only grow sour cherries (don't misunderstand me, I love sour cherries), but I was floored to learn that I could actually grow some sweet cherries in my neck of the woods.  I'm so excited.  I feel that had I known this information all along, I would have planted these trees on my property two years ago.  Oh, how I grieve for time lost and wasted.  Oh well, I'm looking forward and to the future of sweet cherry pickings.  I think one of my two trees is more mature, so I'm hoping for cherries next year.
I feel as if I'm starting a little cherry orchard in my yard.  Do you have any cherry trees on your property or any other kind of fruit trees?  

If you want to learn a little bit more about cherries, please check out the following website:  http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/treefrt/homegdn/cherries.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you got a lot done this past weekend for someone who is a work alcoholic. Enjoy life, SS

My Favorite Things said...

SS, it was hard work. I felt the pain (trust me, I really did).