Saturday, August 6, 2011

Gardenias in Bloom

My gardenia plant is finally blooming, again. It's been several years, probably about two years ago, when it last bloomed. During the summer I keep my plant outside so that it will get natural sunlight and get to experience Minnesota's humidity (it's my understanding that gardenia's love humid weather). This morning I looked outside and saw that there were two beautiful white blooms, even though it looks as if one had already bloomed for a day or two. I think that it must be the weather that promoted the blooming because this summer has been filled with a lot of humid and muggy days.

I snipped the two flowers and let the flowers float in a bowl of water. I love the smell of gardenias. It's just so beautiful. I first encountered the gardenia years ago, right before I was going to come to Minnesota for school. I was in the Bay Area, either Berkeley or San Francisco, with my beau at the time or with my cousins. I remember walking past this little stand in front of this little store. The store was selling one gardenia flower for one dollar, in which each little flower head was floating in a bowl of water. I didn't buy any of the flowers because I thought the price was a bit much, but I loved the smell emitted from the flowers. Fast forward to several years later and that smell continued to stay with me. Thus, I thought that I should at least try to grow a gardenia plant to see if I might get some flowers.
Due to the harsh Minnesota winters, I grow my gardenia plant in a container and bring it inside in the fall. Despite not having any blooms for several years, I still think this plant was well worth growing and keeping because the leaves are so glossy and pretty. Plus, the potential of getting any flowers for the beautiful scent is an incentive for me.

No comments: