Sunday, August 7, 2011

First Tomatoes

I finally got my first tomatoes (one from yesterday and one from today). They're not vine-ripened, but were ripe enough for me to pick. I learned that a tomato can be picked when it's at its "breaker stage." When picked at its breaker stage, a tomato can ripen off the vine without loss of flavor or quality. I learned all of this information at the following website: http://groweat.blogspot.com/2011/07/tomato-patch-how-to-save-more-tomatoes.html. It's actually a really great read and quite interesting.

I was afraid that if I waited for the tomato to get any more ripe on the vine, I might no longer have a tomato. At the same time, I really didn't want a tasteless tomato (as if I just purchased it from the store). I hope I did well and picked the tomatoes at its breaker stage. These are Early Girl 50-days hybrid tomatoes. Right now I have a bunch of green tomatoes on the vine and I'm just waiting for the tomatoes to ripen a little bit more.

No comments: