Sunday, May 1, 2011

Embracing My Femininity

Those who know me really well, already know that I'm pretty laid back and have a blase attitude about my appearance. I love being all natural and not wearing any make up or perfume. I love having a simple enough haircut that doesn't require me to blow dry and style it all the time. In other words, I love having "wash and go" hair. I love to wear jeans, t-shirts, and sweatshirts. I love clogs, sneakers, and sandals. I didn't own any stilettos for most of my life and I really didn't own a dress, just for the sake of owning a dress (there had to be an occasion for me to purchase the dress in the first place).

Yet, recently a friend and I have decided that we were going to embrace our femininity. I know there's a whole debate in the academic world, specifically women studies, as to what constitutes femininity. Putting that aside, I will say that for myself, I have defined "embracing my femininity" as embracing methods, habits, and ways that most mainstream women share. For example, I am learning to put on my own make-up. Considering my age, many tweens and teens are experts compared to me because I do not know how to put on eyeshadow or even pick out a proper liquid foundation (that's why I've chosen to use mineral make-up as my foundation). I was also told recently that I needed to learn to walk in stiletto heels (which is probably true). Anyhow, these are just some examples. I won't bore you anymore, but I am going to try my best.


No comments: