Friday, June 11, 2010

Rain Barrels

I purchased two rain barrels today. Yes, they are BLUE (Smurf-like blue), and may be unsightly, but I've been wanting some rain barrels for the longest time. It's a wonderful and economical way to collect rainwater to water the garden. You can find out more about rain barrels at this website http://www.uri.edu/ce/healthylandscapes/rainbsources.html.

I've been searching on Craigslist and yesterday I finally found a seller, selling one rain barrel (able to hold 55 gallons) for $45.00 that already came with a spigot and ready for immediate use. I felt that the price was reasonable since I really was in no mood to try and outfit a 55 gallon barrel with a spigot, cut out a hole on the top and cover it with mesh (to minimize mosquitoes breeding) and an outflow spout. Seriously, I've been wanting to build/assemble my own rain barrel, but with my other major project still in progress (note: home renovations are not for the faint of heart), I just don't have enough energy as of late.

Last night would've been a great time to have a rain barrel handy (it was the first fierce thunderstorm in the city with thunder and lightning). Today has been overcast and I believe tomorrow will be overcast too. Hopefully, we'll get some more rain and hopefully fill up my rain barrels.

No comments: