Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Happy (Belated) New Year

It is a bit late, considering that it's already February, but it's still not too late to wish everyone a happy new year.

January was BUSY!!! First, I was very sick (caught the flu or something right after Christmas) and was trying to nurse myself back to good health. I actually had a fever that went up to 102 degrees Fahrenheit. Unfortunately, I still have a cough and scratchy throat that just won't go away. Hopefully, I can get rid of the cough by the end of this month.

Second, my cousin passed away. He was still relatively young, but he was obese and a heavy smoker. I didn't know that he had been hospitalized 2 to 3 times as of October 2009. When I was told that he might pass away, I hurried to the hospital, despite my own sad state of health (hacking cough, sore throat, inability to talk other than whisper). When I arrived at the hospital, he was in a somewhat comatose-like state of mind. I was told that he could hear me, but could not respond. I took that time to say my last words to him and I hope that he was able to hear what I said.

Lastly, I learned that an aunt living in Laos passed away. She left behind two little girls, a six-year-old and a three-month-old. My mom brought up the idea of someone in our family adopting these little girls. Given the economic circumstances and personal affairs of everyone in my family, I was the the only person who could adopt these girls. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that I would like to adopt these girls and how I could go about making it happen. In talking with a friend (who specializes in immigration law) and having done some research, I realized that I am not able to adopt these girls. Since this would be an international adoption, it would require that I go through an adoption agency, which is very expensive (even for one child) and I didn't even have the funds to pay the initial fees.

To say the very least, I'm feeling a bit blue and dejected. I'm hoping for a happier month to come, but I hope you understand why I haven't had time to write.

No comments: