Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pink Poppies

My poppies are blooming. I've been pining for a very long time for some poppies in my garden. I wanted scarlet and brillant orange Oriental poppies (Papaver orientale) to grow in my yard, and it seems that the seeds I planted earlier this spring have established themselves but have not bloomed (I think they are prennials and will only bloom early in the spring).

However, I also purchased some seeds for the pink poppies (which are annuals and bloom in the summer). I didn't think that I was going to like these pink poppies, but I'm very glad to be proven wrong. The stem and leaves are light green, perfectly complementing the poppies' multiple crepe-like petals. Like all of my other flowers in the garden, the poppies are fleeting--blooming for several days, then leaving behind only the pod.

No comments: