Saturday, August 11, 2007

All Things Green (Part 1)

Last summer a friend of mine went to India and when she came back, she shared with me the “recipe” for a lime soda (apparently they drink a lot of it). I’m sure many of you have made it, but I wasn’t aware of it until she made one for me. Anyhow, it’s sooooooo refreshing on a hot day (and lately it’s been hot and humid in the Twin Cities), and consists of sparkling water and lime juice. I’ve made my changes to this basic two ingredient drink and I guess one could call the result a virgin mojito. I think it’s a good thing that I don’t drink alcohol because I’d probably become an alcoholic considering how many of these I down in one sitting.

I like my lime soda with a strong lime taste, semi-sweet, and a little minty.

Recipe for Lime Soda

Half of a lime
3 teaspoons of sugar
One 12 oz can of plain sparkling water (the colder, the better, but shouldn’t be frozen)
Several mint leaves (2-3), torn into little pieces (you can omit the mint or if you want a stronger mint flavor, then crush the leaves)

1. Squeeze lime juice into a tall glass. The more pulp, the better!
2. Spoon sugar into the glass.
3. Pour sparkling water into the glass. While pouring, begin stirring the drink with a straw or spoon to dissolve the sugar. As the sugar dissolves, it will add more fizz to the drink.
4. Add the mint leaves.
ENJOY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So yummmmmmmmy.

Anonymous said...

I will try this recipe when it gets warm again. But if I can't wait for the cold to pass, I'll just add a little alcohol to the drink to warm me up. yummm