Thursday, July 25, 2019

Embracing Motherhood

I was reading a book this morning and in it the main character talks about how her mother embraced motherhood, it was her mother's purpose in life. This nugget of a thought stopped me in my tracks. I wondered to myself, have I embraced motherhood? To be honest, probably not. Maybe I should.

I don't know if the very act of having children and raising them is me embracing motherhood. I love my children and they both are at a fun age where everything is still knew to them. At the same time, I'm also wanting to travel and hike, which is hard for them to do for a long enough time at their young age. I do long for the days of alone time and quiet time spent reflecting and writing. And maybe, these longings and my stay at home isn't exactly me enjoying motherhood.

I told myself that I would embrace motherhood. I don't know what that means. I don't know if I should enjoy potty training more. I do know that I need to be more present with them. I probably need to be more grateful for this precious time that I have with them. They both are already getting so big and independent. I do know that I miss them when they are gone and they miss me when I'm gone.

If you have any suggestions for me about embracing motherhood or even parenthood, let me know. 

No comments: