Saturday, November 1, 2014

New England Clam Chowder


I love clam chowder, the New England type.  I especially like my clam chowder on the thinner side, definitely not super thick and chunky.  I know a "chowder" isn't suppose to be thin, but I can't help it. Unfortunately, I find that almost all canned clam chowder and most clam chowder from restaurants are too thick.  
So, several years ago, I came up with the following recipe (after lots of internet research).  So far, it's the only recipe I use to make clam chowder.  I love how flavorful the soup is.  I also like how it doesn't have that really odd "white" look that most store bought soup has.  Also, since I don't puree the aromatic vegetables (the onions, celery, and carrots are also known as the "trinity" vegetables), it adds a nice and not too noticeable texture to the soup.  I think if the aromatics were pureed, the soup might become a bit thicker.  More potatoes can also be added and then broken up to thicken the soup.



New England Clam Chowder Recipe

2 TBL olive oil or butter
1 C diced onion
1 C diced celery
1 C diced carrots
3 medium red potatoes, cubed
3 cans of clams (1 chopped, 2 minced)--can use just 2 cans
2 C water
2 vegetable bouillon cubes (you can also use fish bouillon cubes)
1 C of milk
1/2 C of cream
2 tsp chopped up parsley (optional)

1.  In a pot, heat oil (melt butter).  Saute onion, celery, and carrots for about 5-10 minutes.
2.  Pour in water and the juice from the cans of clam.  (If you want to puree the aromatic vegetables, this would be the time to do it.)
3.  Put in the bouillon cubes.  Put in potatoes.  Stir, cover and gently boil on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.  Potatoes should be tender but still firm.
4.  Use a spoon to break up some of the potatoes to create a thicker soup, but it is not required.
5.  Add milk, cream and clams.  Heat thoroughly, about 10 minutes, but do not boil.  (If it boils, the cream and milk will curdle.)
6.  Serve.

If you try this recipe, let me know what you think.  It's perfect on those cold wintery days.

No comments: