Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sponsoring a Child

There's a blogger that I read from time to time.  At the end of last month, I caught up on several of his postings and was really moved to action.  He blogged about how he sponsored a child (in Africa) through an organization called Compassion and how he was going to Africa to meet the girl he sponsored and other children sponsored through this organization.  I was really moved by his postings because it wasn't just the monetary sponsorship that made a difference in this child's life, but it's also building a connection with the child that leads to hope and the possibility of a better future.

So, I sponsored a child through Compassion (there are so many children that are hoping to be sponsored).  This sounds lame, but I chose this particular boy because his picture reminded me of my former beau, who once took a picture in a suit that was two sizes too big for him because that was the only nice suit he had (he was meeting a Congressional leader that particular day).  

Last night I got a packet from Compassion with general information about my child and the program itself.  After looking through the packet, I wrote a letter to my boy and will be sending it off tomorrow.  I hope I can positively contribute to his life (kinda like how the sponsors positively contributed to my life when my family and I came to the United States).  I am really looking forward to any letters he may send me and of course, I'd love to write to him. I'd encourage you to check out information about Compassion and if you are able to, please sponsor a child.

The following is Compassion's website:  http://www.compassion.com/sponsor_a_child/default.htm?referer=134065

2 comments:

Unknown said...

these muther effer's better not be scamming and sending everyone who donates money the same picture of the same kid. I hope your kid writes you if they're allowed. Either way, bless your heart sister.

ML JR.

My Favorite Things said...

ML Jr, if you go to the website, you actually choose which child you want to sponsor. The organization puts the child's picture publicly online. That's the only reason why I decided to share his picture on my blog. I've yet to hear from him, but I hope it all goes well. Thanks.