Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Nashville, Tennessee

Since my friend and I were already in Memphis, TN, we decided to go and visit Nashville.  It was a three hour drive from Memphis to Nashville and it was unfortunate that we didn't get to do as much as I would've liked.  Yet, it was a good experience overall.
When we first got within Nashville's city limits, it was close to noon and we found our way to a restaurant called the Pancake Pantry, which was several blocks away from Vanderbilt University.  I came across this restaurant from an online review, so I thought it would be fun to check it out.  
This painting really represented our wait in line to get a seat and the closest experience to a Portlandia episode.
The line was out the door and went around the corner.  I really felt like I was in a Portlandia episode.  Anyhow, it took them thirty minutes to seat us and we ordered what they were best known for, pancakes and hash browns.  The pancakes were light, fluffy and good, but it's the hash browns that really got my attention.  The hash browns were crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and very well seasoned.  It was definitely one of the best tasting hash browns I've ever had at a restaurant.  Yummy!

Then we headed over to the Hermitage, which was the home of President Andrew Jackson (you'll recognize him from the twenty-dollar bill).  We both spent approximately two hours there, touring the Hermitage, the existing slave homes, the formal garden and burial ground, and the general grounds.  There was still more to see, but we didn't have enough time because it was closing.  It was a very peaceful experience but at the same time the issue of slavery was very prominent.
A slave house that was occupied by a former slave and servant, Alfred.
Bare furnishings that were in the slave house.
We then headed to downtown Nashville.  At first I was wondering where all the people were at, considering it was downtown Nashville, the Country Music Awards weekend, and a Saturday evening.  After crossing through a sketchy alley, we found lots and lots and lots of people out and about.  
I found the Printers Alley a little bit sketchy.
I loved walking around and looking at all the people.  I loved how people there wore cowboy boots with just about anything and everything (e.g. formal dresses, shorts, jeans, etc.).  I almost bought myself a pair of cowboy boots too, but had second thoughts.

The common denominator:  BOOTS!
It was getting dark by then and I would've loved to have stay longer, but it was a three hour drive back.  I don't know if I would get another chance to return to Nashville, but it was a good experience.
These boots were made for walking, but not on my feet.
Have you been to Nashville?  Where did you go or where would you like to go and see?

No comments: