Monday, April 6, 2009

Will Garden for Free

Despite the wonky weather in my neck of the world (yesterday we got two inches of snow that got melted by the afternoon sun), spring is coming. Since I was not a diligent gardener in the fall and failed to clear out my garden before the winter, my chores as of late has been clearing out my garden of organic debris.

I have also started planting some roses into the ground. For a while there, I wanted to grow my roses in pots—that way, I can move my roses around. However, I have since decided to plant them in the ground because they will flourish so much better, provide more blooms, and probably survive the winter months. I am a bit nervous because I am not really a rosarian and I worry about my plants succumbing to all types of rose afflictions (e.g. mildew, black spot, thrips), but I guess I should have some kind of faith that my roses are going to be okay.

Other than my roses, I have been very surprised at what has survived in my garden. Seriously, I am always left in awe of various plants in my garden and how hardy they are. I see signs of life peeking out from the dead and rotting organic debris. For example, I see new shoots of green coming out from my mums, new growth from my irises and lilies, and even green leaves from the perennial poppies I planted last year. Once more, I am very excited to see what pops up in my garden. I have a feeling that the colors in my garden will be mismatched shades of blue, pink, red, yellow, orange, and green, and will look like it’s been planned by a bunch of kindergartners. I, however, do not care. I wanted a cottage garden, an exuberant garden, abundant in color, with the majority of the plants hardy to my zone. I may worry about how my garden looks in the future, but at this point, I just want to garden.

2 comments:

Aplysia Oceanography said...

I want to see picures of your garden!
PICTURES!

you can do some before and after shots!

Anonymous said...

Your request has been granted. Thanks for the comment.