Saturday, April 25, 2009

Oh My Peony

I don't know why, but it took me such a long time to appreciate peonies. I knew of their existence, but just never really paid any attention to them (did you know that peonies are very revered by the Chinese and symbolize wealth). Since then, I've really learned to appreciate the beauty that they are and the variety (some look like mums and others look like multi-petaled roses).

Last year my mate's sister gave me several plants from her yard. She was looking to get rid of the plants and I opted to take them. I planted them into pots and into my yard. I got some leaves out of the plants but no flowers (I read somewhere that this is normal and a newly transplated peony may not bloom until two or three years later). This year, a co-worker gave me her peonies too so I had to rearrange my garden again. So far, I've been very surprised with the plants vigorious growth. Two weeks ago they were little red buds (known as "eyes") in the ground and this week they are shooting forth stems and leaves. Hopefully this year these plants will bloom and send forth fragrant flowers. Since I have no idea what color or shape these flowers will be, I'm highly anticipating their arrival. I'll definately keep you posted.

No comments: