Monday, January 5, 2009

I Scream for Ice Cream

Even in the dead of winter, I scream for ice cream. So why am I suddenly so interested in homemade ice cream? Well, for the holidays I purchased for myself a KitchenAid standing mixer and an ice cream attachment. It may sound extravagant but I've been patiently saving for a KitchenAid standing mixer for a very long time.

So what else am I to do but experiment with making ice cream. I've made several batches of ice cream, but after several trial and error (mostly having to do with use of the ice cream bowl and making sure that the bowl is frozen solid), I've finally made a really, really good batch of ice cream. I found a recipe online for french vanilla ice cream and tweaked it according to the ingredients I had on hand. I used vanilla extract, but would recommend using a vanilla bean. It was still yummy, but I the future I'd make this recipe with a vanilla bean because doing so would make a big difference in the flavor of the ice cream.


If you're ever in my neighborhood, holler before coming over and I'll make a batch especially for you. Enjoy the recipe.

French Vanilla Ice Cream (adapted from Cook's Illustrated)

2 C Half and Half
1 C Heavy cream
3/4 C Sugar
1 vanilla bean (split lengthwise and scraped) OR 2 TBL vanilla extract
6 large egg yolks

1. Bring milk, cream, 1/4 cup of sugar, [and vanilla seeds and pod] to 175°F (80°C) in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar (and break up vanilla seeds if using vanilla seeds and pod).
2. Meanwhile, beat remaining sugar with yolks until mixture turns pale yellow and thickens so that it falls in ribbons, about 2 minutes with an electric mixer or 4 minutes with a whisk.
3. Remove 1/2 cup hot milk from pan and slowly whisk it into beaten yolks. Then gradually whisk yolk mixture into saucepan and, stirring constantly, heat this mixture over medium-low heat to 180°F (82°C), 8 to 10 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat; strain custard into a plastic or nonreactive metal bowl. [Retrieve vanilla pods from strainer and add them to the mixture.] Place bowl in a larger bowl of ice water to bring custard to room temperature.

4. Seal bowl and refrigerate until custard is no more than 40 degrees, 4 to 8 hours. (This is unnecessary with self-contained electric model). Remove vanilla pods or add extract and pour custard into an ice cream machine. Churn until frozen.

Makes 1 quart.

No comments: