Saturday, September 13, 2008

Mums

If tulips symbolize the coming of spring, then mums symbolize the coming of fall. Also known as chrysanthemums, these flowers are ubiquitious in the fall.

I've never seriously considered these perennials as having a place in my garden until last fall, where I gave in and purchased three hardy mums on a whim. I planted them in the garden and only two survived. Despite losing the yellow blooming plant, the other two are flourishing and have doubled in size.

I am now very enamored of these plants and very excited in acquiring different varieties, or at least doubling the number of plants in my garden. Lucky for me, these plants are easily propogated. All I need to do is take a cutting from the plant, strip off any leaves from the bottom, and put it in water. In about a week or two, the plant will have grown several roots. I've currently propogated two cuttings and will eventually plant the cuttings in potting soil. In the spring, I hope to transplant the "cuttings" to my garden.

No comments: