Sunday, December 23, 2007

Public Libraries Rock

I love public libraries. A friend once told me that whenever she had a hankering to go shopping and frivolously spend money, she would just go to the library. By the time she leaves the library, she no longer wants to spend any of her money and she gets to take home all the books she wants, without paying a cent. I’ve since taken her advice to heart and have been finding myself at the library more often than in previous years.

The other great thing about public libraries is that it saves me from having to purchase books (which can be an expensive habit). I do have my little own library and I do buy books, but the books I purchase often are used from the internet or thrift stores, plus I would not be offended if someone gave me a used book as a gift. Only on a few occasion have I purchased a book from a bookstore at its full price. Anyhow, I also find that once I’ve finished reading the book, it just stays on my shelf. That’s another reason why libraries are so great – I can return the borrowed book (save my shelf space) and check out another.

No comments: