Thursday, August 16, 2007

All Things Green (Part 2)




In my first posting I mentioned making fried green tomatoes. Upon a request from a good friend, I’ve decided to share my recipe for fried green tomatoes. I just want to put you on notice that if you don’t eat cornmeal too often, it’s definitely an acquired taste. However, once you’ve eaten your first slice of a fried green tomato, it leaves a savory and tangy taste that lingers in your mouth, and you inexplicably just want more. I eat my fried green tomatoes with an Asian chili sauce. I also find that fried green tomatoes pair very well with a fried egg.

You can use any unripe (green) tomato to fry. I’ve found that soaking the tomato slices in vinegar (I use white wine vinegar) adds additional flavor, and the vinegar pairs well with the slightly sour tomato.

**I’m sure you already know, but just in case, you cannot eat a green tomato raw.**


Recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes


1 green tomato, sliced into 1/4 inch thickness
1/4 C vinegar
1/2 C cornmeal
Seasoning (e.g. seasoned salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, etc)
Oil (preferably olive oil)

1. Marinate each tomato slice in the vinegar.
2. Add the seasoning to the cornmeal. Season the cornmeal according to taste.
3. Take a tomato slice and dip one side in the cornmeal, then dip the other side in cornmeal. The vinegar will help the cornmeal adhere to the tomato. Lightly tap off excess cornmeal from the tomato slice and put on a plate.
4. Heat pan and put in 2-3 tablespoon of oil in the pan. The oil should be hot but not sizzling. Pan fry the tomato slices on medium heat. Each side should be fried for 2-4 minutes, depending on your stove. The cornmeal coating should be golden brown.
5. Serve right away. Fried green tomatoes are best eaten warm.


YUM!!!


No comments: